Nominate Yourself or Someone Else to Serve on the USEA Board
Submit a nomination for Executive Board Member-at-Large. Learn more about serving on the Board and the Board member selection process below.
- Faculty, instructors, staff, etc., from fully implemented, dues-paying UTeach programs
- Alumni of any UTeach program
The deadline for nominations and submission of materials is February 28, 2022.
Growing into Leadership with USEA
Have you wanted to become more involved with the UTeach Nation? Are you interested in taking on or growing into a leadership position within this dynamic group of STEM educators? We invite all members of the UTeach community — leaders, faculty, staff, alumni, and students — to view this presentation from members of the UTeach STEM Educators Association (USEA) leadership committee to learn what opportunities are available, how to become involved, and what USEA is looking for in leadership to help guide our community into the future. We explicitly address the desire for increased diversity within USEA.
What Does the USEA Board Do?
Board members are responsible for strategically thinking, planning, and evaluating on behalf of the association. The Board is responsible for envisioning association initiatives, setting their direction, and evaluating them for progress and success. As leaders, Board members set the agenda.
How Much Time Does Board Service Require?
Although Board members must be willing to invest time in preparing for and thoughtfully participating in Board meetings, the time commitment is not onerous. The USEA Executive Board meets three times per year—once in person in conjunction with the annual UTeach STEM Educators Conference and twice via web conference in October and February. Board members are expected to attend the UTeach STEM Educators Conference and any ad hoc conference calls.
The USEA president and vice president usually meet with USEA management for 30 minutes once a week or as needed throughout the year.
Criteria and Selection Process
USEA seeks individuals with diverse work, life, social, and educational backgrounds so that it can make well-rounded decisions that reflect its entire membership. USEA seeks true diversity—in terms of age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, industry, location, and work roles—in its board.
We seek candidates with the following:
Skills and Background
- Thinks strategically about USEA, STEM education, and teacher preparation
- Brings diversity and new ideas/perspectives to the current Board
- Uses knowledge for decision making that benefits the overall organization
- Has an appreciation for and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Has an understanding of UTeach and/ or USEA
- Has experience on other boards or has held previous leadership positions—a plus, but not a must
- Has support from employer and colleagues regarding the time required for board service
- Is able to attend Executive Board meetings and the annual UTeach STEM Educators Conference, as well as participate in ad hoc conference calls
- Diverse in age, race/ ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, geographic representation, etc.
- Broad representation of UTeach programs
- Broad representation of the roles within UTeach (e.g., alumni, co-directors, master teachers, faculty, student support staff, etc.)
- Diverse special interests and/ or expertise
Quality of candidate's CV
- Experience with STEM education in general
- Experience with UTeach and/or USEA
- Experience on other boards and/or in leadership positions
- Overall impression of candidate’s CV
Quality of candidate’s personal statement
- Statement clearly articulates personal strengths and how these would add value to the USEA Board
- Statement demonstrates strategic thinking about USEA, STEM education, and teacher preparation
- Statement discusses how candidate would bring diversity and new ideas/perspectives to the current Board
- Overall quality of personal statement
Diversity for USEA Board
- Does the candidate bring diversity to the Board and complement the current USEA Board membership? (e.g., age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, geographic representation, gender, roles within UTeach program)
- Based on your review of the applicant’s materials (or other personal interactions, if applicable) what is your overall impression of the candidate and their potential to positively contribute to the USEA Board?
USEA’s Leadership Development Committee will accept board nominations from:
- faculty, staff, Master Teachers, etc. from fully implemented UTeach programs
- alumni of any UTeach program
- November 30: Deadline for nominations
- December: Leadership Development Committee reviews finalists
- January 15: Board slate presented to USEA president
- February 15: Board slate presented to USEA membership
Can I Nominate Myself?
Yes. USEA members may nominate themselves for board service by following the same procedures they would use to nominate someone else.
What's the Nomination Process?
USEA’s Leadership Development Committee calls for board nominations in August/ September each year. In October, the committee reviews the nominations based on the established criteria and recommends one candidate per open position. This slate of candidates is presented to the USEA president by November 1 and sent to the USEA membership by December 1.
Leadership Mentoring Opportunity
If you're interested in meeting with a mentor from the current USEA Leadership Development Committee, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the general days/times when you are available. We will pair you up with an available mentor and you can schedule a meeting. You will have a 30-minute one-on-one Zoom meeting with your mentor during which you can ask questions about Board roles and receive feedback on the ideas you might have for your application. Please know these folks are volunteering their time for this (as with all USEA Board and committee activities) and let them know they are appreciated for that!
Nominate a Candidate
If you know someone who meets the criteria and eligibility for USEA board nominee, and who might be willing to serve on the USEA Executive Board, nominate them!
USEA Board nominations are now closed.